When do Municipal Elections take place?
Manitoba Municipal Elections are held every four years. The general Election Day is always the fourth Wednesday in October. The next general Municipal Election will be held on Wednesday, October 26, 2022.
Who is the Senior Election Official (SEO)?
The Senior Election Official is the person appointed by the municipality to exercise general direction and supervision over the conduct of municipal elections. The SEO will be your primary contact person should you have any questions about municipal elections, such as voting place locations, alternative voting opportunities, nominations, questions about the voters list, etc. Your municipal office will have the SEO's contact information if you are unsure who the SEO is in your municipality. Assistant SEOs are appointed by the SEO, and will also be available to answer any questions regarding the municipal elections.
What are the responsibilities of Council in a Municipal Election?
In order to uphold the integrity of the election process, Municipal Councils are responsible only for certain key election decisions. These decisions include:
- Deciding if the election will be at-large or based on wards;
- Agreeing to conduct an election, or any part of an election, with another local authority;
- Appointing the Senior Election Official;
- Budgeting for election expenses and deciding remuneration for election officials; and
- Authorizing the use of vote-counting machines.